Reclaimed wood has a very unique character, it’s usually sourced from buildings and structures that have been broken down and removed from the 18th-20th century. It comes from a time where timber was a primary building material and it’s this almost romantic feel that really makes people appreciate it more.
As the world has moved on people have realised resources on this planet are finite and instead of going with modern chipboard and compressed dust furniture from the likes of Ikea that may last 3-5 years, people want stuff that will last a lifetime from a sustainable and eco friendly source. Some people also just like the look of this material, it adds a bit of randomness to most modern rooms that is impossible to recreate otherwise.
What should you look for in a headboard?
Buying a new headboard can change the look and feel of a room without the cost of replacing an entire bed. If you are going to just replace a headboard you have to think about a few different things.
- Will it fit? Buy the right sized headboard. Mattresses and sheets tend to be standard sizes but not all bed frames are.
- How will you fit it? Many headboards attach to the wall behind a bed. While headboards are not load bearing and simply just need to be kept in place make sure the wall is suitable or think about how to attach it to the bed itself.
- Orientation of the wood. If your room is tall you may want wood to go horizontal on your headboard to make the room feel bigger. If you have a low ceiling then you may want to consider vertical paneling.
Reclaimed Wood Headboards
- This solid pine headboard has a natural finish that lets the beauty of the wood shine through. Made from recycled pine, this rustic headboard will complement your bedroom and blend seamlessly with farmhouse or contemporary decor.
- 64"W x 3"D x 45"H
- Recycled pine
- Predrilled holes allow for easy connection to most metal bed frames.
- Made of recycled pine, each headboard is unique and slightly different from the next.
- OPEN SLAT HEADBOARD: Inspired by simply chic living, this refreshingly understated queen headboard with open slat styling is just what's needed to set the scene for a soothing bedroom retreat
- WELL CRAFTED: Made with engineered wood, this queen headboard includes a butcher block whitewash finish over replicated pine grain
- VERSATILE STYLE: Be it for your master bedroom, the kids room or a guest room, this clean-lined, understated headboard complements a full range of decor styles
- QUEEN SIZE HEADBOARD ONLY: Fit for a queen or king, this affordably priced designer headboard measures 63.39" W x 1.38" D x 49.17" H; metal bolts are needed to attach headboard to existing bed frames. Rail to floor-7.25 inch
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Includes simple instructions. Hardware and screwdriver (needed for assembly) not included; matching platform (takes a mattress; no box spring or foundation required) sold separately
- RUSTIC PANEL HEADBOARD: Whether they want to hone in a country-chic look or a warm, inviting space, this headboard is sure to please your kids taste in style
- HANDSOMELY CRAFTED: Made of replicated veneer and manmade wood with nailhead accents
- VERSATILE STYLE: The richly rustic finish over plank-style details and nailhead trim is so visually appealing, and so easy to match with other furnishings
- TWIN SIZE: Measures 42.5" W x 3.5" D x 54" H to fit with most twin size bed frames and mattresses. Matching frame is sold separately; headboard only
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Instructions included. Four ¼" bolts are needed to attach headboard to existing bed frame. Mattress, foundation and box spring are available and sold separately
- 80"H x 80"W x 0.7-1.2"D, 34 kg
- Brown, Whitewash
- Reclaimed Teak wood
- Consist of 4 pieces of 18” width , 0.7" depth, Framed with 4 pieces of 4" width, 1" depth
- Easy installation, instructions + hardware provided
No products found.
- Includes headboard only that fits a standard frame
- Mounting hardware not included
- 100% polyester wheat colored fabric
- Made of Solid Pine, Particle Board, Polyester
- Dimensions: 64" W x 4" D x 54" H
Other Bedroom Products
Replacing just the headboard in a modern bedroom with reclaimed wood may make your bed look out of place, we have a bunch of other reviews on specific reclaimed wood furniture that you may enjoy.
How to make a reclaimed wood headboard?
If you’re looking to make your own reclaimed headboard then I think you’re in the wrong place but the best place to start is acquiring some lumber that is suitable for the task. It needs to be straight, sanded down, not soiled in anything like oil which may destroy your sheets/mattress and be of a suitable size for a headboard.
From then I would make a wooden or metal frame from unused materials and attach the reclaimed stuff to this. It’s not a difficult project and you could probably make it happen with some basic hand tools.
Can I fit a new headboard to my existing bed?
It will depend on the bed you have now, check to see if your bed has a removable headboard or if it can be removed with a saw. From here you can either screw the new headboard to the wall behind your bed or screw it directly to the bed, whatever works best in your situation. Many people also just place the headboard behind the bed and push the bed towards the wall until the headboard stands up straight and that can work too.
Is reclaimed wood eco friendly?
Using wood again instead of sending it to landfill, burning it or even in some cases recycling it is 100% eco friendly. Reusing anything like this is very green and will reduce your carbon footprint on the world. Ultimately when you’re done with your headboard you can send it to be recycled like it would have been anyway with no real addition to the world’s carbon footprint.
Some people will argue that this wood is not truly reclaimed once you start to manufacture “reclaimed” wood in factories for commercial use and I agree, but this is most likely wood they are buying from people who would have just used this for disposable pallets and shipping boxes.
Is reclaimed wood vegan?
Last update on 2021-05-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API