Coronavirus is here and currently as I write this it’s spread to every continent the world and every state in the US. This is very concerning, but what can we do to stay safe? One thing that studies have shown is like many viruses, coronavirus can be killed by UV light so to follow on from my best coronavirus masks this post will look at the best coronavirus UV light.
Readers should head to the CDC website for accurate and up to date information.
Coronavirus Facts So Far:
- The virus (named 2019-nCoV) originated from Wuhan in people who visited a seafood market, it’s thought the virus originated from a snake.
- There has been over 220,000 cases recorded so far and over 9000 deaths world wide.
- Many countries and regions are in lock down, travel has been halted and borders shut.
- China still has the most number of cases but lately seem to have got on top of the infection through lockdowns and forced isolation.
- Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding says the coronavirus has a R0 value of 3.8, making it more contagious than a cold virus.
The WHO declared COVID-19 as a pandemic in March, this a serious health hazard to the region and the world at large. The major concerns most health professionals have right now is capacity of health care systems within countries and there are reports in Italy of doctors being forced to choose who they treat and who they leave to die due to a lack of ventilators.
Important note: This article is not designed to be used as health advice, seek out your own government’s advice. For those in America please read the CDC website set up to help with coronavirus and for those in the UK check out Gov.uk for the latest advice. I am a blogger, not a health professional.
How does a Coronavirus UV Light kill the virus?
Scientists have been using UV light to kill bacteria, viruses and other single cell organisms like algae for decades. It’s a process called “Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation“, it works by breaking down the molecular bonds that hold their DNA together which prevents the virus from multiplying and breaking their life cycle. Instead of multiplying as normal they are unable to do this and simply die at the end of their life. Coronavirus can be controlled in the exact same way.
There are two methods to control coronavirus with UV light at home:
- With an air purifier which incorporates a UV light to kill and trap airborne viruses
- With a surface cleaning UV light that shines UV light onto walls and other surfaces to kill virus cells there
Many industries use UV light to sterilize, some of those include medical, food and people even run UV sterilizers on their pond to clear the water of algae. These are very simple and widely available products.
Coronavirus UV Light
This is the best option for those looking to kill the virus in the air or on a surface. It has the most powerful UV bulb on test today at 55w and works in a very unusual way where the head of the unit that emits the light will spin covering the walls, air and other surfaces of the room in a concentrated laser like beam of UV-C light.
This the best coronavirus UV light and that's because of physics. It takes a 36w UV-C bulb 10 seconds to kill Coronavirus at a 6 inch distance and due to the inverse square law it will take twice as long to kill the coronavirus at 12 inches. This quickly becomes a problem when you are trying to kill the virus in a normal sized room as the walls are not 6 inches away, they are 5-10 foot away...
This product does not spread the light like a normal lightbulb so the inverse square law does not apply, it keeps the light in a solid beam and slowly scans the room with this solid beam in a 360 degree pattern. It's extremely cool to watch and massively effective against coronavirus, bacteria, mold and fungus. This is a genius level product.
- Powerful 55W Lamp, works with 110v plugs, No chemicals, Ozone Free, Remote control ( battery included), 3 time settings(30 mins, 60 mins & 120 mins), 1 minute delay start so that users have enough time to leave the room before it starts the disinfection process
- Suitable for: living room, bedroom, pet house, kitchen, bathroom, clinic etc. It is recommended to use it once or twice a week to achieve maximal results. No installation required. It can eliminates flu virus and prevents the spread of flu.
- Warranty:WHAT DOES THIS WARRANTY COVER? Any manufacturing defects or hardware component failures in your Pur UV lamp that is still within warranty along with any accessories you received (remote control etc.) FOR HOW LONG? 1 year from the date of purchase of your new Warranted Product. WHAT WILL WE DO? Repair, or if repair is not possible, replace your defective Warranted Product. Replacement part Bulb Service Life is 8000 hours and is replaceable.
- Technology: Rotatable Lamp Head, disinfection in all directions. UV Wave Length: 254nm. UV sterilization has been used for many years in sterilization of medical instruments and in water purification systems. UV light can kill bacteria, viruses, germs, dust mite eggs, dust mites, molds, C.difficile etc by destroying their DNA.
- Tips: UV lights have some harmful effects on human eyes and skin. So when the UV lamp is working, people or pets can't stay in the room where it is.
This product is a bit different to the product above. Rather than have a head that moves and concentrates the light which scans your room it's simply a UV bulb in a lamp holder.
Don't get me wrong, it will do the job but due to physics explained above and due to the less powerful bulb it will kill the virus at a slower rate but it will do a job which is just as good.
A normal room should be sterilised in 45 minutes or so in my experience, but I always think you should do a room twice with the bulb in different positions. This is to make sure that any objects blocking light such as furniture don't provide shadow that the coronavirus needs to survive treatment. It improves coverage and makes sure it's done properly.
This project is much light the one above, it even uses the same replaceable 30w UV-C bulb.
I've included it though as I thought it was slightly better built and included some features that the other product didn't. it's the exact same design, just a bulb stood up with nothing blocking it in any direction except for protecting rods designed to protect the glass bulb from breakage.
The best feature of the light was the delayed start, this enabled you to set the light and leave the room while it does it's job with no exposure to yourself (which isn't a huge risk anyway). It also shuts off by itself after a set amount of time through a timer which is great for leaving the light unattended. These features alone set it apart and make it a really friendly product.
- UVC with ozone] UV-C light with a wavelength of 185 nm has a stronger function than UVC and can be brought to any location, especially to remove odors.
- [What is ozone? ] However, ozone itself has an unbearable smell. Please wait a long time (30-90 minutes) after use so that the product can self-decompose in oxygen
- [Efficient and Complete] -Ultraviolet rays have an antibacterial rate of 99% and a 360 ° increased radiation angle, which means that the air can be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected by killing bacteria, viruses, allergens and mold.
- [Safety during use] - The disinfection lamp is equipped with a timing device integrated in the remote control, a remote distance of 10 meters, a 3-speed timer function and a switch-on delay of 15 seconds. It can better protect your family!
- [Family Use] - A good germicidal lamp solves every family's disinfection problem. Particularly suitable for baby rooms, indoor air for older people, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and disinfection objects.
Unlike the models above this product will not kill the bacteria in an entire room, it's a hand held device designed to kill bacteria on individual objects such as door handles, telephones or work surfaces.
These kind of products are widely used in hospitals to fight against MRSA and even Ebola. They are powerful and when used in such close proximity to a surface they work extremely quickly. They are also small enough to carry in a bag and offer a long battery life.
They are not ideal to do entire rooms like the above products, but serve as a great tool in their own way.
- ã€Automatic Safety Switchã€‘Built-in smart automatic safety switch that the UV light will automatically turn off when UV light tube is upwards to protect your eyes and skin from hurt.
- ã€Wide Applicationã€‘Suitable for home, office, car interior, hotel etc. Can be used to sterilize tableware, baby clothes, towel, keyboard, cellphone, keys and the like without damaging the material.
- ã€4 Timer Settingã€‘Easy to operate with two buttons. Simply turn on the light and select the sterilization time, 5mins, 15mins, 30mins or continuous working mode. With LED digital display clearly shows you the left time of sterilization.
- ã€Compact Portableã€‘Compact size and lightweight, easy to put in bag to carry around, use anytime anywhere to keep you and your family away from bacteria.
- ã€Effective Sterilizingã€‘Adopting ultraviolet disinfection technology, using ultraviolet light to destroys the DNA of microorganisms to ensure a healthy environment. The sterilizing rate is high up to 99.9%.
Air purifiers are another tool you can use to keep yourself safe but these are not coronavirus UV lights.
They feature a UV-C light like the products above but this is generally used to kill the bacteria and viruses that the unit captures in it's filter material. Air travels through the unit too quickly for the UV-C to actually kill airborne cells directly.
They are still a good product though and highly recommended, this particular model features a HEPA filter which will capture very small particles and even smoke. It would do a good job cleaning air in your home during an outbreak but you also need something to clean surfaces and a coronavirus UV lamp is just better at that while also killing airborne cells.
- PURIFIES THE AIR: True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke, and household odors.
- BUILT-IN UV-C LIGHT: Adds a deeper level of air sanitation by destroying illness-causing microorganisms
- WHISPER-QUIET OPERATION: With a noise level at just 30dB, PureZone silently sanitizes the air for easier breathing and more restful sleep.
- EASY & EFFICIENT OPERATION: Sets up in seconds for immediate use out of the box and features an optional automatic timer that shuts off the unit after 2, 4, or 8 hours of continuous use to promote energy efficiency
- WHAT YOU GET: Air purifier, 3-in-1 HEPA filter, user manual, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted brand with millions of customers worldwide.
Other Protections Against Coronavirus
Keeping yourself protected during an outbreak should be your number 1 priority. If you do not come into contact with the virus then you will not get infected, this is a keypoint which you must remember. Some tips to avoid contact are:
- Regularly wash your hands
- Avoid contact with people showing symptoms
- Avoid contact with animals
- Be sure to properly cook food
There are other products which I believe you should stock up on to give you the best chance fighting Coronavirus, some other things you may want to consider are below.
A good quality virus mask is the first line of defense against coronavirus. You have probably seen these in use during flu season in Asian countries already, the reason is they work… Filtering the air you breath will lower your risk. I have already written a post about coronavirus masks here so I won’t go into much detail.
If things do spread and the general population gets a bit frantic then things will quickly sell out locally, it’s best to have this stuff on hand already before things get to that point to ensure you and your family are protected. I would advise on stocking up on the following items:
- Disinfectants and cleaning supplies
- Water (bottled)
Lowering your exposure to the virus is the best form of defense. If you can get yourself to a point where there is no need to leave your home in the event of an outbreak and self quarantine then you shouldn’t have the opportunity to come in contact with the virus.
I cannot stress the use of this enough! Become obsessed with washing your hands. Avoid contact with animals or surfaces other people touch (like door handles) and stop touching your eyes, ears or mouth. Washing your hands with regular soap and water is fine but having a gel hand sanitizer on hand too with a high alcohol content is recommended for times when you’re not near a sink. Use it often and liberally. Set a reminder on your phone for every hour and stick to it.
I would even go as far wearing gloves if the risk is high or you know there are cases of coronavirus local to you.
Clothing and Boot Covers
If you are forced to leave your home during an outbreak (avoid at all costs) then your priority should be to keep the virus outside your home when you return. This can be done by using:
- Decorating cover all
- Disposable shoe covers
I would also be sure to use a full face mask and ear protection (covered in the next point). Keep your shoes outside your home when you return, do not enter the home wearing anything that you were wearing for your trip and immediately take a long hot shower using lots of soaps and cleaning agents. Do not walk in and hug your wife or kids like an idiot either…
Eye and Ear Protection
The virus can spread through contact with the eye, ear and mouth. It’s important that you protect yourself properly from all three entry points as they are equally vulnerable. For eye and mouth protection a full face mask is perfect, for ear protection use cotton buds or ear plugs covered in tea tree oil which is a natural virus killer which won’t harm your skin.
Corona Virus UV FAQ
Can UV light kill viruses?
Yes, Scientists have known about this for decades. UV light which has wavelengths between 200 and 400 nanometers (nm) breaks the bonds within the cells DNA which leaves the virus unable to replicate and reproduce stopping the lifecycle of the virus. UV light is also effective against bacteria, fungus, mold and algae.
How long does it take for a Coronavirus UV Light to kill the virus?
The inverse square law applies to germicidal ultraviolet as it does to light: the killing power decreases as the distance from the lamps increases. The coronavirus will be killed in ten seconds at a distance of six inches from the lamp in an Ultraviolet Germicidal product.
Is UV light harmful to humans?
We naturally come in contact with UV light daily through the sun, it’s what gives us a tan in summer or while on holiday so long term exposure can give us sun burns. It can also harm your eyes if you were to stare into the bulb but for normal use of the products listed above you should have no real concerns.
How effective is UV sterilization?
UV sterilization is extremely effective. It’s a process that is widely used in many industries from food to water processing and purification.
Does a UV sterilizer kill airborne coronavirus?
Yes, it doesn’t matter if it’s in the air or on a surface the effect is the same. If the virus is exposed to UV light it will die.