Coronavirus is here and currently as I write this it’s spread to every continent of the world except for Africa. This is very concerning for those who wish to live, but what can we do to remain this way? One thing that studies have shown is like many viruses, coronavirus can be killed by UV light so to follow on from my best coronavirus masks this post will look at the best coronavirus UV light.
Coronavirus Facts So Far:
- So far over 210 have died and 9000 cases are confirmed in China, however the true amount is likely to be higher as there is a shortage of test equipment available.
- We have confirmed cases in the UK and the US.
- The virus has spread to every continent in the world with the exception of Africa.
- The virus (named 2019-nCoV) originated from Wuhan in people who visited a seafood market, it’s thought the virus originated from a snake.
- 2019-nCoV is more contagious than the common cold.
We have not hit a pandemic level of infections yet, but the World Health Organization has listed Coronavirus as a global health concern. There are major concerns about how to treat people if the virus continues to spread and also about how honest the Chinese government have been over the issue. We all need to be prepared to handle this virus as right now it does not look like it’s spreading and the virus reaches a contagious phase long before people are showing symptoms. It’s important that we all have the supplies available to fight the virus in our homes ready to go because if this does break out supplies locally will be limited, be prepared.
How does a Coronavirus UV Light kill the virus?
Scientists have been using UV light to kill bacteria, viruses and other single cell organisms like algae for decades. It’s a process called “Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation“, it works by breaking down the molecular bonds that hold their DNA together which prevents the virus from multiplying and breaking their life cycle. Instead of multiplying as normal they are unable to do this and simply die at the end of their life. Coronavirus can be controlled in the exact same way.
There are two methods to control coronavirus with UV light at home:
- With an air purifier which incorporates a UV light to kill and trap airborne viruses
- With a surface cleaning UV light that shines UV light onto walls and other surfaces to kill virus cells there
Many industries use UV light to sterilize, some of those include medical, food and people even run UV sterilizers on their pond to clear the water of algae. These are very simple and widely available products.
Coronavirus UV Light
This is the best option for those looking to kill the virus in the air or on a surface. It has the most powerful UV bulb on test today at 55w and works in a very unusual way where the head of the unit that emits the light will spin covering the walls, air and other surfaces of the room in a concentrated laser like beam of UV-C light.
This the best coronavirus UV light and that's because of physics. It takes a 36w UV-C bulb 10 seconds to kill Coronavirus at a 6 inch distance and due to the inverse square law it will take twice as long to kill the coronavirus at 12 inches. This quickly becomes a problem when you are trying to kill the virus in a normal sized room as the walls are not 6 inches away, they are 5-10 foot away...
This product does not spread the light like a normal lightbulb so the inverse square law does not apply, it keeps the light in a solid beam and slowly scans the room with this solid beam in a 360 degree pattern. It's extremely cool to watch and massively effective against coronavirus, bacteria, mold and fungus. This is a genius level product.
- Powerful 55W Lamp, works with 110v plugs, No chemicals, Ozone Free, Remote control ( battery included), 3 time settings(30 mins, 60 mins & 120 mins), 1 minute delay start so that users have enough time to leave the room before it starts the disinfection process
- Suitable for: living room, bedroom, pet house, kitchen, bathroom, clinic etc. It is recommended to use it once or twice a week to achieve maximal results. No installation required. It can eliminates flu virus and prevents the spread of flu.
- Warranty:WHAT DOES THIS WARRANTY COVER? Any manufacturing defects or hardware component failures in your Pur UV lamp that is still within warranty along with any accessories you received (remote control etc.) FOR HOW LONG? 1 year from the date of purchase of your new Warranted Product. WHAT WILL WE DO? Repair, or if repair is not possible, replace your defective Warranted Product. Replacement part Bulb Service Life is 8000 hours and is replaceable.
- Technology: Rotatable Lamp Head, disinfection in all directions. UV Wave Length: 254nm. UV sterilization has been used for many years in sterilization of medical instruments and in water purification systems. UV light can kill bacteria, viruses, germs, dust mite eggs, dust mites, molds, C.difficile etc by destroying their DNA.
- Tips: UV lights have some harmful effects on human eyes and skin. So when the UV lamp is working, people or pets can't stay in the room where it is.
This product is a bit different to the product above. Rather than have a head that moves and concentrates the light which scans your room it's simply a UV bulb in a lamp holder.
Don't get me wrong, it will do the job but due to physics explained above and due to the less powerful bulb it will kill the virus at a slower rate but it will do a job which is just as good.
A normal room should be sterilised in 45 minutes or so in my experience, but I always think you should do a room twice with the bulb in different positions. This is to make sure that any objects blocking light such as furniture don't provide shadow that the coronavirus needs to survive treatment. It improves coverage and makes sure it's done properly.
- ★【High Quality】Housing and 6 mm solid steel column for good compression resistance. Suitable for room area about 40㎡,recommended time is 15 minutes.
- ★【With Ozone】Micro-ozone UV lamp, ozone has sterilization, in addition to formaldehyde to odor and other functions, and ozone is a gas, can fill the entire room, without the influence of obstacles, to achieve no dead angle sterilize. Ozone contains peculiar smell, which requires ventilation before completed.
- ★【Efficiency】Made of quartz material, 254nm wavelength, long service life, high transmission rate and better sterilization effect.
- ★【Safety First!】Third gear can be timed 15/30/60 minutes, 15 seconds delay to start, to ensure people leave safely. Powerful remote control function can let you partition wall remote control.
- ★【NOTE】When the germicidal lamp is turned on, please leave the place of use immediately and keep the environment without any animals and plants. Do not look directly at the germicidal light source. Absorbing too much ultraviolet light can cause skin irritation and conjunctival damage.
This project is much light the one above, it even uses the same replaceable 36w UV-C bulb.
I've included it though as I thought it was slightly better built and included some features that the other product didn't. it's the exact same design, just a bulb stood up with nothing blocking it in any direction except for protecting rods designed to protect the glass bulb from breakage.
The best feature of the light was the delayed start, this enabled you to set the light and leave the room while it does it's job with no exposure to yourself (which isn't a huge risk anyway). It also shuts off by itself after a set amount of time through a timer which is great for leaving the light unattended. These features alone set it apart and make it a really friendly product.
- NO Chemical, Ozone Free. Suitable for disinfection of living room, bedroom, pet house, kitchen, bathroom, clinic. It is recommended to use it once or twice a week for effective sterilization. It can eliminates flu virus and prevents the spread of flu.
- 36W 110v, IR Remote control ( battery included), 3 gears time setting, 1 minute delay start
- Technology: Bulbs are germicidal UVC and put out wavelength of 254 nm light. UV sterilization has been used for many years in sterilization. UV light can kill bacteria, viruses, germs, dust mite eggs, dust mites, molds, C.difficile etc by destroying their DNA.
- Warranty: Bulb Service Life: 8000 hours. One year warranty after purchased, bulbs are replaceable.
- Tips: UV lights have some stimulating effects on human eyes and skin. So when the UV lamp is working, people or pets can't stay in the room where it is.
Unlike the models above this product will not kill the bacteria in an entire room, it's a hand held device designed to kill bacteria on individual objects such as door handles, telephones or work surfaces.
These kind of products are widely used in hospitals to fight against MRSA and even Ebola. They are powerful and when used in such close proximity to a surface they work extremely quickly. They are also small enough to carry in a bag and offer a long battery life.
They are not ideal to do entire rooms like the above products, but serve as a great tool in their own way.
- Sanitize and Sterilize an area very quickly. Destroys odor causing bacteria and mold in an instant. Buy more than 1 for quantity discounts.
- U/V C Technology allows germs and bacteria to be killed, even on porous surfaces.
- Reduce Germs on practically any surface. Deodorized shoes in a few minutes.
- Kills MRSA and H1N1, Ebola and much more - Actually gets rid of odor.
- Destroys drug resistant bacteria. Destroys many biofilms. KIlls Lyme disease causing spirochetes.
Air purifiers are another tool you can use to keep yourself safe but these are not coronavirus UV lights.
They feature a UV-C light like the products above but this is generally used to kill the bacteria and viruses that the unit captures in it's filter material. Air travels through the unit too quickly for the UV-C to actually kill airborne cells directly.
They are still a good product though and highly recommended, this particular model features a HEPA filter which will capture very small particles and even smoke. It would do a good job cleaning air in your home during an outbreak but you also need something to clean surfaces and a coronavirus UV lamp is just better at that while also killing airborne cells.
- PURIFIES THE AIR: True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke, and household odors.
- DESTROYS GERMS & VIRUSES: UV-C light safely destroys micro-organisms such as germs and viruses.
- WHISPER-QUIET OPERATION: With a noise level at just 30dB, PureZone silently sanitizes the air for easier breathing and more restful sleep.
- EASY & EFFICIENT OPERATION: Sets up in seconds for immediate use out of the box and features an optional automatic timer that shuts off the unit after 2, 4, or 8 hours of continuous use to promote energy efficiency
- WHAT YOU GET: Air purifier, 3-in-1 HEPA filter, user manual, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted brand with millions of customers worldwide.
Other Protections Against Coronavirus
Keeping yourself protected during an outbreak should be your number 1 priority. If you do not come into contact with the virus then you will not get infected, this is a keypoint which you must remember. Some tips to avoid contact are:
- Regularly wash your hands
- Avoid contact with people showing symptoms
- Avoid contact with animals
- Be sure to properly cook food
There are other products which I believe you should stock up on to give you the best chance fighting Coronavirus, some other things you may want to consider are below.
A good quality virus mask is the first line of defense against coronavirus. You have probably seen these in use during flu season in Asian countries already, the reason is they work… Filtering the air you breath will lower your risk. I have already written a post about coronavirus masks here so I won’t go into much detail.
If things do spread and the general population gets a bit frantic then things will quickly sell out locally, it’s best to have this stuff on hand already before things get to that point to ensure you and your family are protected. I would advise on stocking up on the following items:
- Disinfectants and cleaning supplies
- Water (bottled)
Lowering your exposure to the virus is the best form of defense. If you can get yourself to a point where there is no need to leave your home in the event of an outbreak and self quarantine then you shouldn’t have the opportunity to come in contact with the virus.
I cannot stress the use of this enough! Become obsessed with washing your hands. Avoid contact with animals or surfaces other people touch (like door handles) and stop touching your eyes, ears or mouth. Washing your hands with regular soap and water is fine but having a gel hand sanitizer on hand too with a high alcohol content is recommended for times when you’re not near a sink. Use it often and liberally. Set a reminder on your phone for every hour and stick to it.
I would even go as far wearing gloves if the risk is high or you know there are cases of coronavirus local to you.
Clothing and Boot Covers
If you are forced to leave your home during an outbreak (avoid at all costs) then your priority should be to keep the virus outside your home when you return. This can be done by using:
- Decorating cover all
- Disposable shoe covers
I would also be sure to use a full face mask and ear protection (covered in the next point). Keep your shoes outside your home when you return, do not enter the home wearing anything that you were wearing for your trip and immediately take a long hot shower using lots of soaps and cleaning agents. Do not walk in and hug your wife or kids like an idiot either…
Eye and Ear Protection
The virus can spread through contact with the eye, ear and mouth. It’s important that you protect yourself properly from all three entry points as they are equally vulnerable. For eye and mouth protection a full face mask is perfect, for ear protection use cotton buds or ear plugs covered in tea tree oil which is a natural virus killer which won’t harm your skin.
Corona Virus UV FAQ
Can UV light kill viruses?
Yes, Scientists have known about this for decades. UV light which has wavelengths between 200 and 400 nanometers (nm) breaks the bonds within the cells DNA which leaves the virus unable to replicate and reproduce stopping the lifecycle of the virus. UV light is also effective against bacteria, fungus, mold and algae.
How long does it take for a Coronavirus UV Light to kill the virus?
The inverse square law applies to germicidal ultraviolet as it does to light: the killing power decreases as the distance from the lamps increases. The coronavirus will be killed in ten seconds at a distance of six inches from the lamp in an Ultraviolet Germicidal product.
Is UV light harmful to humans?
We naturally come in contact with UV light daily through the sun, it’s what gives us a tan in summer or while on holiday so long term exposure can give us sun burns. It can also harm your eyes if you were to stare into the bulb but for normal use of the products listed above you should have no real concerns.
How effective is UV sterilization?
UV sterilization is extremely effective. It’s a process that is widely used in many industries from food to water processing and purification.
Does a UV sterilizer kill airborne coronavirus?
Yes, it doesn’t matter if it’s in the air or on a surface the effect is the same. If the virus is exposed to UV light it will die.